Dr. Paula Amato Sworn In As President Of The American Society For Reproductive Medicine
Tuesday, October 18, 2023 10:40 PM CT
New Vice President and Board Members Announced
New Orleans, LA – Today Paula Amato, MD was inaugurated as President of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) effective October 18, 2023. Dr. Amato is a Professor of OB/GYN and REI Division Director at Oregon Health and Science University (OHSU).
Dr. Amato is an oral board examiner for the American Board of Obstetrics & Gynecology. Dr. Amato’s research focuses on embryonic stem cells and gene therapy. She is a frequent lecturer on topics related to women’s health and is a longstanding advocate for health equality for underserved populations.
Dr. Amato obtained her medical degree and completed her OB/GYN residency at the University of Toronto in Canada. She then completed a fellowship in Reproductive Endocrinology and infertility at the University of California, San Diego. She subsequently was awarded an American Association of Obstetricians & Gynecologists Fellowship. Dr. Amato also holds a Master of Clinical Research degree from OHSU.
She succeeds ASRM President Michael Thomas, MD, Department Chair of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine.
“I am honored to be passing the torch to Dr. Paula Amato. Her commitment and passion are evident in the work she has done for not only ASRM, but for our entire field of reproductive medicine. ASRM will have a tremendous year under her leadership.” – Michael Thomas, MD. ASRM Immediate Past President.
Robert E. Brannigan, MD Elected ASRM Vice President
Robert E. Brannigan, MD, Professor and Vice Chair of Clinical Urology in the Department of Urology at Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine with a clinical focus on male reproductive medicine and surgery, becomes Vice President of ASRM and will become the organization’s President in 2025.
Jessica B. Spencer, MD Elected ASRM Secretary-Treasurer
Jessica B. Spencer, MD, Anne Winship Bates Leach Professor and Vice Chair of Education in the Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics at the Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta, Georgia, becomes Secretary-Treasurer of ASRM.
New Board Members
- Director at Large - Sangita K. Jindal, PhD, Professor and IVF Laboratory Director in the Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology & Women’s Health at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York. Dr. Jindal served as the immediate past President of the Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology (SART) and currently serves on the ASRM Practice Committee.
- Director at Large - Paul Lin, MD, Medical Director and founding partner of the Seattle Reproductive Surgery and the SART Medical Director for Seattle Reproductive Medicine. He previously served as President of SART and is currently the SREI board representative to the Society of Reproductive Surgeons.
- SART President - Steven Spandorfer, MD, member of the Center for Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility at Weill Cornell Medical College. He has been involved with SART for almost 20 years, serving as a member and later the chair of the Registry, Membership, and Validation Committees.
- SMRU President - Kathleen Hwang, MD, Professor in the Departments of Urology and OB/GYN and Reproductive Sciences at The University of Pittsburgh. She is the Director of Male Reproductive Health and the Director of The UPMC Men’s Health Center.
- SRBT President - Marina Gvakharia, MD, PhD, Director of Laboratories at Fertility and Reproductive Health Institute of Northern California.
- SREI President - Erica Marsh, MD, MSCI, FACOG, Vice Chair of the Department of OB/GYN at the University of Michigan Medical School and Chief of the Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility. She holds the University Diversity and Social Transformation Professorship and the S Jan Behrman Collegiate Professorship of Reproductive Medicine. Dr. Marsh serves as the Associate Director of the Michigan Institute of Clinical and Health Research.
- SRS President - Mindy Christianson, MD, Section Chief of Reproductive Endocrinology and Interfertility (REI) at the Cleveland Clinic and Practice Director of the Cleveland Clinic Fertility Center.
Fertility in the News
Society of Reproductive Biologists and Technologists (SRBT) Condemns Recent Court Decision in Alabama
The recent ruling by the Alabama Supreme Court that frozen embryos are legally considered people has sparked controversy and concern.
In LePage v Mobile Infirmary Clinic, the Alabama Supreme Court made a decision that flies in the face of medical reality and the needs of the citizens.
ASRM is thrilled by the introduction of the Access to Family Building Act
ASRM and RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association offer model legislation, call for Congress and the states to prioritize passage.